About Me

My photo
26 year old social animal seeking to understand tee totalers - should we feel sorry for them? How much money do they save? How much weight could you loose? Will your emotional health improve?...find out....

Wednesday 15 August 2007

6 units or maybe 8?

Just to clarify for myself as much as anyone else, exactly how much is a unit of alcohol? I found this on the Internet....

What's a unit?
A UK unit is 10ml or 8 grams of pure alcohol. The number of units in a drink depends on what you're drinking - how strong it is and how much there is. You may have seen examples of drinks that contain one unit, but these examples are often out of date, for instance:

Half a pint of 3.5% beer/lager/cider is one unit, BUT many continental lagers are closer to 5% while extra strong lagers can be as strong as 9%!

One small (125 ml) glass of wine at 9% is one unit, BUT who uses small glasses? Certainly not pubs and probably not at home either. Plus most wines are now about 11-13%.

A 25ml pub measure of spirit at 40% is one unitBUT some pubs now serve 35ml as standard. Plus other pubs will serve you a double unless you specify otherwise.


So now that's cleared up, last night I fully intended to go home and chill on the couch and watch my new cable TV (there are some weird and wonderful shows, I particularly enjoyed "Dogs with Jobs"), however.............

Just as I was finishing up, I walked to the front door of the hotel when one of the other managers was also finishing and we decided to go for ONE. Anyway one rum and ginger ale, 2.5 pints of Kronenburg Blanc later I left. On the way home I bumped into another friend and had 2 bottles of magners.

I did make it home before J though, and for the first Wednesday morning in ages I did not feel hungover. Unfortunately tonight a girl from work is leaving so its a champagne reception at 4.30. J is off tonight though so I want to get away asap. So lets hope tonight can only be ONE.

E x

PS I have decided to keep this focused on the task and not go into too much personal details, I read on blogging tips that unless you are really fascinating then this is what you should do. Anyone who read yesterdays post the good news is my aunts lumps proved to be malignant :-)

No comments: