About Me

My photo
26 year old social animal seeking to understand tee totalers - should we feel sorry for them? How much money do they save? How much weight could you loose? Will your emotional health improve?...find out....

Tuesday 21 August 2007

Alcohol free night and concerned about calories

Hi, have been a bit slack at the weekend with writing the blog. I worked Saturday night and had a family meal on Sunday. I wish I could say I had been good but on Sunday alcohol units must have been at least 8.

Anyway last night I had my first girly meal and night in - minus the wine. A brief insight into what next month might bring and it actually wasn't that bad - in fact it was great. OK at first to offer someone a cup of tea felt a bit 1950's housewifish, but I had a really good night, with the added bonus of NO HANG OVER!!

Last night I was talking to Julie about body shape and being toned, which got me thinking...I really need to get back in shape and get myself to the gym. So much of feeling confident is related to body image - for right or wrong. Next month I am hoping that the lack of alcohol will not only incentivise me to the gym but also help me to drop a few pounds. Here is the proof that alcohol = weight, from an article I found on the internet

Alcohol calories
Alcohol contains seven calories per gram, so if you're trying to keep in shape it might be an idea to cut down the amount you drink. It contains little in the way of other nutrients, so replacing a meal with alcohol isn’t a good idea.
The following values give an approximate idea as to how many calories are contained in a selection of alcoholic drinks. Remember, on average you need approximately 2000 - 2500 calories a day.
Drink
Calorie content (approximate)
Beers, lager and cider

Pint of lager = 200
Pint of bitter =100
Pint of sweet cider = 250
Pint of dry cider = 200
Pale ale = 91
Stout, bottled = 105
Lager (ordinary strength) = 85
Wines, small glass (125ml) =

Red wine =85
Rose wine, medium =89
Sweet white wine =118
Dry white wine =83
Medium white wine =94
Champagne =80
Spirits, one shot (25ml)
Gin = 50 / Vodka = 50 / Whiskey= 50 / Southern comfort = 70 / Baileys = 80
Fruit juice mixer = 50 / Fizzy drink mixer = 50


So Sunday night = 8 x 90 (small glass of wine)
720 calories !!!!!!

At the moment I am trying to decided whether to add up last weeks total - reasons to - it is true and a shocking discovery - reasons not to - I might actually cry.
Ok I'll do it -
36 x 90 = 3240

hmmmmm thats a day and a halfs food allowance. It would take running (burning 500k per hour) for 6.5 hours!!

If that is not enough incentive to drink less if not nothing, then I don't know what is.

x

No comments: